How To Choose
The following information is provided to assist property owners and homeowners in choosing a landscape contractor to design and build your landscape project. This is not an exhaustive list, and all of the questions may not apply to your situation.
We will be happy to provide you with a complete copy of our consumer guide and step-by-step installation processes for each major type of project we do prior to our first meeting.
Here are three areas we recommend you consider in evaluation every landscape contractor you talk to:
For each area, simply ask the questions and ask the landscape contractor to provide the evidence to support their answers.
Reputation And Business Stability Of The Landscape Company
- Are you licensed as a home improvement contractor in New Jersey and will you provide us with your license number?
- Will you supply a copy of your current insurance certificate?
- Will you provide a copy of your business registration for your current company? (This is proof of how long they have been in business under this name.)
- Can you provide me with a reference list with at least 10 customers?
- Will you provide us with a reference from your bank and key suppliers?
- Are you licensed by the NJDEP as a commercial pesticide applicator and as a pesticide applicator business and will you provide us with your licenses?
- Have you ever filed for bankruptcy for any company or organization in which you were an owner that did landscape construction or landscape maintenance?
Experience And Methodology
- How many landscape projects have you designed?
- Will you provide a detailed breakdown of the service you are providing?
- Do you have a written policy regarding smoking, drugs and alcohol by your crews?
- What landscape industry certifications do you hold?
- Do you hold any college degrees related to your profession?
Service Before, During, And After The Project
- Will you provide me your warranty in writing?
- Have you ever repaired a project that was out of warranty?
- What is your company phone policy?
- How often do you meet with homeowner to review job progress?
- Do you provide a price guarantee?
We hope these questions give you the information you need to make the best choice when it comes to hiring, evaluating and working with a professional landscape design build and maintenance contractor.